The Lindsay Buziak Murder Timeline

Timeline of Lindsay’s murder as per Sgt. Horsley on Crime Watch Daily.  

“She had arranged a private showing for clients. That was set up for a Saturday afternoon at 5:30 in the evening,” said Sgt. Horsley.

Staff Sergeant Chris Horsley takes us back to that house to discuss what police know about the night.

“Lindsay showed up and she met the client here on this private little street, we did have witnesses that viewed the interaction between the parties,” said Horsley.

Those witnesses remember seeing Lindsay talking to a blonde woman wearing a distinctively colorful dress and a 6-foot-tall Caucasian man with dark hair. After that, the three went inside. And from there, police have what they believe to be a disturbingly accurate timeline of Lindsay Buziak’s last minutes alive.

“The lockbox has computer access, we did get those records, it was unlocked just before 5:30. So 5:29 the lockbox is open, said Horsley. “We know that Lindsay showed the main floor of the home and then they went upstairs.”

Upstairs to the master bedroom. Police say it was just nine to 11 minutes after entering the home. And how are they so sure?

At 5:41 there is a dial-out on her phone. It goes to a friend she hasn’t spoken to in some time, and all you can hear is muffling on the message,” said Horsley.

“When they went upstairs, there’s a master bedroom and an en-suite bathroom,” said Sgt. Horsley. “We know that when Lindsay turned to show the en-suite bathroom she was then attacked from the rear. There’s no defensive wounds whatsoever. We don’t believe she had any pre-indication that something was amiss.”

“So we believe that was actually at the point of attack, when the couple attacked Lindsay, somehow it hit buttons on the BlackBerry and it sent out a phone call,” said Horsley.

At the time, police knew nothing of the couple they now believe carried out the attack, or how they were able to slip out of the house undetected. Only who they found when they arrived on the scene — Lindsay’s boyfriend Jason Zailo and one of his friends.

“We locked down the house immediately. Mr. Zailo and his friend were both taken into police custody,” said Saanich Police Sgt. Horsley.

Turns out, it was Zailo who called police to the house. And at the station, he gives investigators a breakdown of his whereabouts that day. Zailo and Lindsay finished a late lunch at a local spot before splitting up. He was going to meet a friend at a nearby business and she was getting ready for that open house.

An hour later, surveillance video shows Zailo and his friend leaving their location just as it’s believed Lindsay is opening the door for her suspected killers.

Around that same time, Zailo texts her: “I’ll come meet you and I’ll be 10 – 15 minutes or so.” Lindsay responds: “Okay, I’ll see you in a bit, I gotta go.” Her texts showed no signs of trouble.

“She told Jason ‘They’re here,'” said Horsley. “But at no time did she say anything that would be cause for warning — ‘I’m worried,’ ‘I’m scared,’ ‘These people creep me out.'”

At 5:38, Jason Zailo texts “just a couple of minutes away.” That text was never opened.

Only three minutes later, a pocket-dial went from Lindsay’s phone. Police believe that happened during the stabbing.

“We’re quite confident that at 5:41 is when the attack took place,” said Sgt. Horsley.

Jason Zailo tells police he drives up to the house just four minutes later at 5:45, and then he tells them that he may have actually seen the murderers: a tall Caucasian man, and a blonde woman wearing a colorful dress.

“The killers were actually about to walk out the front door and leave, and he turned into the cul-de-sac and interrupted them leaving,” said Sgt. Horsley. “If he had been five seconds later he would have driven right into the suspects walking out here into the driveway.”

Instead, he tells police the couple turned around and closed the door.

“And his assumption is these are the clients and the showing is just starting as the door closes,” said Horsley. “He then parks outside because he is waiting for the showing to end.”

Approximately 20 minutes later Zailo texts Lindsay: “Are you okay?” No answer.

“They then go and try the door because they’re becoming concerned,” said Sgt. Horsley. “And it’s at the moment that they realize the front door to the home is locked that he becomes alarmed.”

At 6:05 p.m., Jason Zailo calls police to express his concern.

“Between the police arrival and that first 911 call Jason and his friend noticed a rear French door is ajar on the home,” said Horsley.

Then, as seen in police video recorded at the crime scene shortly after the murder, Zailo tells investigators how his friend entered through the back and let him in through the front.

“The second he unlocked it I pushed it open. Uh, he was already in front of me, and I said ‘I’m running upstairs,’ and I was yelling ‘Lindsay, Lindsay, Lindsay,” Zailo says in the video.

From there, Zailo says he ran straight to the master bedroom, where he found Lindsay’s body, and called police again at 6:11 p.m.

“So I was running inside the house, uh, I just came running up the stairs,” Zailo says in the video.

Police say the evidence supports Jason Zailo’s version of events.

“Mr. Zailo and his friend were under intense police scrutiny. However, Mr. Zailo was cooperative with police,” said Sgt. Horsley. “He also partook in a polygraph exam, and he passed.

“Based on forensic evidence, timeline of communications, witness testimony, video surveillance, we know he’s not the killer,” said Sgt. Horsley. “Was he perhaps somehow involved in the planning? Well, he successfully passed a polygraph and he successfully took part in all these interviews with us. So at this point in time, he’s not considered a suspect.”

*NOTE*   One of Lindsay’s colleagues made the following post on the Dateline website.   It was reported that Lindsay and Jason were working on a time-sensitive real estate deal that night and Jason was heading over to the house to drop off some papers to Lindsay.  That was Jason’s only reason for meeting Lindsay at the house.  He was not going there to protect her from anyone. The conspiracy theorists on social media are fabricating events that did not happen.

Danielle DonohueI worked with Lindsay and was at the office with her before she went and the plan was always for her bf to meet her a few minutes AFTER she arrived and he did. Real estate showings are not super quick and the people being shown the house were never found. She also met up with some old high school friends in Calgary who were busted in the biggest drug bust in Alberta history!!!!! That’s a massive drug bust


Timeline the burner phone was purchased:

“The cell phone the couple used to contact Lindsay was purchased late November 2007 at a Vancouver convenience store. The phone was activated late January, 2008 in Vancouver. The phone traveled to the Island 24 hours prior to Lindsay’s murder.”

“Vancouver is from where the first calls to Lindsay were made, confirmed by hits on cell towers in the city. Police said at least half dozen calls were made to Lindsay and after her murder the cell phone was never used again. They believed the killer(s) knew how to carry out the murder and then cover their tracks.


Crime Watch Daily – “Lindsay actually wrote down the number,” said Sgt. Horsley.

Unfortunately, the number is attached to a “burner” phone, purchased with cash nearly three months before and registered under a fake name.

“The phone was only ever used for one thing and that was to phone Lindsay Buziak,” said Horsley. “It’s a level of planning that clearly shows Lindsay Buziak was the target. The issue is Was she really the target or was she a scapegoat of convenience?”

Saanich Police primary focus appears to be Calgary drug bust connection:

Sgt. Horsley June 9, 2017:

In January before her murder, the largest drug bust in Alberta history occurred,” said Sgt. Horsley. “We’re talking millions upon millions of dollars’ value in cocaine. The people that lost the drugs know that someone spoke to the police.”

**NOTE**  One of the members of the Calgary operation was Leo Rojo Beltran who had ties to a Mexican drug cartel and was an extremely dangerous individual.  Lindsay’s best friend RG  was aware of the VACANT DESOUSA HOME. RG was employed at the same office as Lindsay and it was RG’s job to input MLS listings into the computer system. Someone close to Lindsay gave the killer/mastermind intimate details about Lindsay and that someone may have been  RG.    RG was in a relationship with Vid at one time and VID was a member of the Calgary operation.  Shortly after Lindsay was murdered Vid allegedly pointed a gun at Jason and DEMANDED to know what he saw the night Lindsay was murdered.  Leo Rojo Beltran called the shots in the Calgary operation, he was connected to a Mexican drug cartel and he was a very dangerous individual. He is most likely the mastermind and killer and had help from someone close to Lindsay.


Police do have some strong theories though. One of them tied to a trip Lindsay Buziak made to Calgary just six weeks before her murder.

“This was in December and the murder was in February,” said Sgt. Horsley.

Apparently, while Lindsay was in Calgary, she reached out to an old acquaintance from Victoria, once by phone and another time through Facebook.

“We don’t know the nature of the call. We don’t know why she called him. We don’t know why she was on his Facebook site,” said Sgt. Horsley.

What they do know is that the person she contacted was the family member of a man named Erickson Delalcazar, and that shortly after Lindsay went back to Victoria, Delalcazar, along with 13 other people, was caught in the biggest drug bust in the history of the province.

  **NOTE** Based on the information provided in Court transcripts Erickson Delalcazar and Graham Taylor were arrested on January 22, 2008, AND on the 28th an additional 42 kilos of cocaine was found inside a safe that had been seized on the night of January 22nd.  The other 12 members of the Calgary operation had been arrested AFTER Lindsay was murdered. It appears Lindsay’s murder was related to the bust on the January 22nd and additional seizure of cocaine on the 28th. Days later the burner phone was activated.  The burner phone also travelled to the Island 24 hours before Lindsay’s murder.

“What we can say is that people lost a lot of money and the people that lost the drugs know that someone spoke to the police,” said Horsley. “A witch hunt occurred where people were being questioned, people were being pulled out of their beds in the middle of the night and asked ‘Who have you spoken to?’ because they know someone spoke to the police.”

Someone like Lindsay?

“That’s one of the working theories,” said Horsley. “Lindsay Buziak was the target of this murder but it may have been a target of opportunity where they needed to solve a problem and she was the solution.”

But then why would Lindsay Buziak be so well-known to people in the drug trade to begin with?

“Victoria, everybody knows everybody. It’s that simple,” said Horsley.

“Really, what it’s become is a modern-day witch hunt, and it’s just an internet witch hunt,” said Sgt. Horsley. “So it’s an ongoing issue and whether it affects the potential trial down the road, I don’t know. I’ve had those discussions with Mr. Buziak because it is potential that it could impact our successful prosecution.”

“This is a solvable case and we are confident that Lindsay’s murder can be solved,” said Sgt. Horsley.

Inspector McColl Feb 2, 2011:

“Having had this on our plate (at the time of the broadcast) for more than two years, we had plenty of time to develop theories, look at them closely and think outside of the box,” McColl said, noting that police AGREE with the Dateline investigators’ conclusion that Buziak was an innocent party, and her murder was a TARGETED hit arranged by someone CLOSE to her.  Saanich police have narrowed down the investigation to “three or four” working theories.  McColl stated on Dateline it’s possible one of the people who went into that house was also the MASTERMIND behind Lindsay’s murder.

“It’s not cool to tell on your friends, it’s not cool to rat people out … Many times in a homicide investigation you can get past that because it’s also not cool to kill people,” he said. “There should be some assurance to anyone that is considering speaking to the police, that we’re not really interested in the skeletons in your closet. We have the ability to put that aside and focus in on what we’re really interested in, and that is catching these killers.”

Det-Sgt. Horsley:

“There is nothing in her life — and we’ve conducted an extensive background [check] — that would indicate that she was involved in anything criminal, in anything of a domestic violence relationship, and that is the most perplexing thing.”

“It is also possible Buziak’s killers were under the mistaken impression she had revealed information she shouldn’t have, he said, or perhaps that she was somehow connected to a dangerous person without knowing it.”

“You can be a person who just works and minds their own business in Victoria, yet through a very brief network of friends, you could be absolutely connected to people that are involved in very bad things,” Horsley said.”

Sgt. Dean Jantzen:

“This (killing) was very organized,” said Saanich police spokesman Sgt. Dean Jantzen. “There was a lot of planning and effort and forethought. These are the most complex crimes. And this is the most egregious crime and often they can become long-term and complicated. “There are people in the community who are withholding information. We know there is a bit of cone of silence around this.”











Author: FAC