The Five Ws, are questions whose answers are considered basic in information gathering or problem-solving. They are often mentioned in research and police investigations. According to the principle of the Five Ws, a report can only be considered complete if it answers these questions starting with an interrogative word.
- What happened?
- Who was involved?
- Where did it take place?
- When did it take place?
- Why did that happen?
Personal? Organized crime group? Contract killing? Staged to misdirect the investigation to another person? Staged to appear as though the murder was a “Crime of Passion”? A little bit of everything?
- Calgary drug bust – Series of seizures spanning a year – January 2008 – December 2008. Erickson Delalcazar and Graham Taylor were the first to be arrested on January 22, 2008. The other twelve individuals were arrested after Lindsay’s murder on Feb 2, 2008.
- The investigation was conducted by the Drug Undercover Street Team from November 2007 to December 2008. “A criminal organization used hidden compartments in vehicles to funnel cocaine into Calgary.” (someone snitched on Erickson Delalcazar and the Calgary organization sometime in November 2007 which likely resulted in the start of the investigation.
- “Cave said investigators believe the operation has links to a distribution network spread through the “United States, beyond that to MEXICO (Leopoldo Rojo Beltran connected to Mexican drug cartel) and South America.”
- “The involvement of police in Victoria suggests the cocaine may have been transported from MEXICO along the coast — avoiding the United States — and coming in through VICTORIA, he said, adding he believes the lack of marine border security on the coast leaves an “open gate for drug smugglers.”
- One of the individuals charged in the Calgary drug bust was a foreign national. Leopoldo Fernando Rojo Beltran was a Mexican citizen from Culiacan, Sinaloa with ties to a Mexican drug cartel. He would certainly have the power to organize a hit or take care of it himself. Leo is currently living in California.
- Also charged was Miguel Ernesto Rivas Franco, who was facing “conspiracy to traffick cocaine” charges along with Alycia Faithful-Lebrun. (Miguel and Alycia were apparently offered deals in exchange for information pertaining to Lindsay’s murder. Miguel is Erickson’s best friend. Miguel remains loyal to Erickson.) Miguel and Medardo are Brothers and they were related to Leo Rojo Beltran through their sister’s marriage to Leo. Medardo Rivas is SANDY DELALCAZAR’S best friend. Sandy is the head of the Del family.
- One of Leo’s sisters lived in Burnaby at the time of Lindsay’s murder and one of the vehicles used in the drug operation(Quest) was parked outside her residence for a few months. According to police reports the female suspect first telephoned Lindsay from the Vancouver area on Jan 30, 2008. Leo’s sister is now living in LA, California.
- November 2007: Lindsay got a job at the re/max office for her best friend RG. RG was aware of the vacant property at 1702 Desousa Place because she entered the listing into the computer system on January 9, 2008. Rianne had not been aware the property had been listed earlier then canceled as she was not working at the re/max office during that time. It was reported RG was in a relationship with Vid before, during and after Lindsay’s murder. (Police said on Dateline: “Lindsay was connected to “SOME VERY BAD PEOPLE.” ) I think they were referring to Leo Beltran as one of those people.
- December 2007: Lindsay allegedly told her Father “I saw something I shouldn’t have.” You can bet if that were true Lindsay would have shared that information with her girlfriends. Girls don’t keep secrets from their girlfriends. There have been rumours circulating for years that Lindsay was in the company of Emerson Delalcazar while he was on the phone with his brother Erickson discussing drug business. It was reported that allegedly Lindsay overheard what Emerson was talking about and Emerson was aware Lindsay overheard it. Shortly thereafter Erickson was busted (January 22, 2008). Rumour has it that members of the Calgary operation may have been told by someone that Lindsay was the one who snitched on Erickson and the Calgary operation and they may have used that earlier telephone call Lindsay overheard as their evidence to support she was the snitch. Or, the Del’s determined on their own that Lindsay must have been the snitch. (it could go either way)The police have stated publicly that Lindsay was not the informant. One of Lindsay’s friends was dating Ovidio (Vid) at the time and she was present at the house when Lindsay overheard the telephone conversation between Emerson and Erickson. It’s possible Lindsay’s friend RG may have lied to the Del’s and said: ” Lindsay snitched on Erickson after she heard what Emerson said on the phone.”(speculation) The police know the true identity of the snitch and it wasn’t Lindsay. The Del group were aware that someone had spoken to the police about their drug operation which resulted in Erickson’s arrest. (Police stated on Dateline: “It is also possible Buziak’s killers were under the MISTAKEN impression she had revealed information she shouldn’t have, he said, or perhaps that she was somehow connected to a dangerous person without knowing it” AND “You can be a person who just works and minds their own business in Victoria, yet through a very brief network of friends, you could be absolutely connected to people that are involved in very bad things,” Horsley said )
- It’s also highly possible Lindsay never said: “I saw something I shouldn’t have seen”. The investigators have never confirmed that story. Just like they never confirmed the rumour about the “referral client” or that the male suspect called Lindsay the day of the murder to say he was coming alone.
- January 22, 2008: Erickson Lopez Delalcazar and Graham Scott Taylor arrested in the Calgary drug bust. If Lindsay was murdered because someone labeled her a snitch then the timeline of Lindsay’s murder fits with the timeline of Erickson’s arrest in the Calgary drug operation. Surveillance of some members of the Calgary drug operation heightened AFTER Lindsay’s murder. The Del group went on a witch hunt shortly after Erickson’s arrest in January and just before Lindsay’s murder on Feb 2. They wanted to know who spoke to the police about Erickson and the Calgary drug operation. The Del group knew Lindsay because she associated with them from time to time due to her previous relationship with MMD and current relationship with RG. Vid was part of that organization and Lindsay and Vid despised each other. The Del group were also aware that Lindsay reportedly overheard Emerson’s telephone conversation with Erickson about the drug operation.
- Sometime between January 23 and January 30, 2008 – The Del group took part in a witch hunt according to Investigators working on Lindsay’s case.”What we can say is that people lost a lot of money and the people that lost the drugs know that someone spoke to the police,” said Horsley. “A witch hunt occurred where people were being questioned, people were being pulled out of their beds in the middle of the night and asked ‘Who have you spoken to?’ because they know someone spoke to the police.” “That’s one of the working theories,” said Horsley. “Lindsay Buziak was the target of this murder but it may have been a target of opportunity where they needed to solve a problem and she was the solution.”
- Late January 2008: Burner phone activated and it was reported the female suspect called Lindsay numerous times starting on January 30th and began the process of luring Lindsay to her execution. Lindsay planned to show 5 homes to the couple on Feb 2, 2008. (Police confirmed the phone calls took place.)
- February 01, 2008: Female suspect telephoned Lindsay AGAIN requesting to view the Desousa property FIRST, at 530 pm. There seems to be conflicting reports regarding the date of the first phone call to Lindsay. Some reports state it was February 1, 2008.
- February 01, 2008: Erickson Delalcazar denied bail.
- February 1, 2008: It was reported Lindsay was having a mental breakdown over MMD. She talked to a good friend about this during the day and on Friday night she talked to SZ about Matt as well. Lindsay told SZ she was afraid of MMD. MMD is friends with Vid and the Del group. SZ mentioned this on Dateline NBC.
- February 1, 2008: The burner phone traveled to the Victoria area less than 24 hours before Lindsay’s murder and cell records indicate the crime phone pinged off a tower in the Cook/Finalyson area.
- February 2, 2008: Lindsay murdered by the suspect couple. The investigators said it’s possible the conspirators may have set the murder up to appear as though it was a crime of passion.
- 2008 – 2010: SP began investigating people involved in the Calgary drug operation. At the beginning of the investigation, it was reported in the press during that time that SP said they did not need any help from the public nor did they say a “reward was necessary”. At that time they were likely confident they had sufficient information/evidence. Later, it was reported the investigators hit a brick wall while investigating the Calgary group and that was ONE of the reasons they appeared on Dateline in 2010. They wanted to open the net a little wider. Leo Rojo Beltran, who was one of the members of the drug operation was deported April 2010 so maybe that was “the wall” the investigators hit. Unfortunately, some of the individuals involved in the Calgary drug operation refused to cooperate too. The investigators had offered “Miguel Rivas Franco and Alycia Faithful-Lebrun” deals in exchange for information on Lindsay’s murder.(“Laying charges of conspiracy to traffic cocaine is “significant,” he said. Conspiracy charges also incur stricter penalties; the Crown is looking for 15- to 20-year sentences for the two accused of conspiracy. Cave said some suspects charged are believed to have been involved in the upper echelons of the organized-crime network and the investigation disrupted its activities.)
Alycia allegedly passed a poly. She was out of prison by 2010. Miguel was Erickson’s best friend and they are still in contact today so doubtful Miguel ever cooperated. Neither ended up receiving 15-20 year sentences.
- 2008 – 2010: Leo Beltran was under surveillance for quite some time and arrested on December 3, 2008. ( On December 3, 2008, Canada Border Service Agency Inland enforcement unit was contacted by the Calgary Police Service and advised that on that date the accused Leopoldo Rojo Beltran had been one of several individuals arrested at Calgary, Canada as part of a sweep of arrests, the result of an approximately one year long CPS drug investigation named “High Noon.” He was charged under s. 354 of the Criminal Code with possession of proceeds of crime. On June 9, 2009, the Crown entered a stay of proceedings in relation to this Criminal Code charge. On April 1, 2010, Leo entered a guilty plea to an offence of returning to Canada without the prescribed authorization, contrary to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, S.C. 2001, c. 27. The offender submits that he will not fight removal from Canada.The offender is sentenced to four months and thirteen days in custody. Various sources stated the focus of the investigation was still on the Del group. It was reported that all agencies involved in the Lindsay Buziak investigation were hot on the trail of some of the members of the Calgary drug operation. The Department of Homeland Security in Washington, DC was said to be involved. The department’s work includes customs, border, and immigration enforcement. One of the suspects (Leo Rojo Beltran) was likely their main target. It was reported in the media in 2010 “Officers have investigated leads that took them to the Lower Mainland, Calgary, and Washington State. Leo is now currently living in California.
- Last week of September 2015: Investigators were banging on the doors of RG, CH, Medardo, and others. Is it possible the investigators were playing the game “tickle the wire” ? This event seemed to have rattled a lot of cages and the phone lines were burning up. Is that what the investigators were hoping for?
- August 2016: Avneet D. is a friend of VID’s and the Del group. Avneet posted a comment on the Lindsay Buziak Murder blog believing his post was anonymous. His comment read — “So, what do you think would happen to someone that tries to extort a drug dealer with major connections?” Avneet used his work computer to post the comment and the IP was traced back to his employer. Avneet denied making the post but the evidence says otherwise. Since Avneet is friends with VID and the Del’s it is believed he was referring to Medardo/Erickson/VID as the drug dealers who had the “major connections” and Leo Rojo Beltran was the person with the major connections. Leo was not only a high ranking member of the Calgary operation he had connections to a Mexican drug cartel. (Police said on Dateline: “Perhaps Lindsay said the WRONG THING to the WRONG PERSON”
- Erickson Delalcazar was the only one busted (January 22, 2008) besides Graham Taylor prior to Lindsay’s murder. Based on information in court transcript the remaining twelve members were busted AFTER Lindsay’s murder but were obviously aware of Erickson’s arrest Jan 08.
- Jason said Lindsay referred to the suspect couple as “THE MEXICAN’S”. One of the men charged in the Calgary drug bust (Leo) was high ranking and a citizen of Mexico. He is now living in California. He had a sister who lived in Burnaby and she spoke Spanish. RG also spoke Spanish. The female suspect spoke with a thick foreign accent. Police never said it was “FAKE”. Police have company/personal phone records and know who RG was speaking to prior to and after Lindsay’s murder. RG was aware she was under surveillance too.
- RG was one of Lindsay’s best friends and worked at the same re/max office. She was in a relationship with Vid and was aware of the vacant Desousa Property. RG did not return to her job at the re/max office after Lindsay’s murder.
- RG denied being in a relationship with VID.
- RG refused to participate in the “Dateline Show”. RG refused to cooperate with the investigators and refused to submit to a polygraph. Who does that and claims they will do ANYTHING to help find “Justice for Lindsay”? It was reported by the media that Matt was cleared by the SP and he also cooperated with the SP.
- Lindsay’s murder appeared to look like a hired hit, carried out by a couple unknown to Lindsay who LURED Lindsay to the DeSousa residence. The extent of Lindsay’s injuries has never been made public other than, Lindsay was stabbed multiple times. The police have stated they do not believe the suspect couple live in Victoria. (Leo and his sister live in California now).
- It was noted in Leopoldo’s 2010 sentencing hearing “returning to Canada without the prescribed authorization” that he was a TARGET in ANOTHER ONGOING INVESTIGATION. They were likely referring to Lindsay’s murder investigation.
- “In furtherance of Operation High Noon, a tracking device warrant was obtained and was installed on the Quest in June 2008 while it was still located at the Edmonton address. Later, the Quest was driven back to Calgary and parked in the garage of the residence of Mr. Miguel Rivas-Franco’s brother-in-law, a Mr. Leopoldo Beltran.” (more evidence to support Leo was under surveillance)
- “The Quest then returned to Vancouver the next day on June 12, 2008, and went dormant for a period of approximately 4 months. For almost the whole of that time, the Quest was stationary, either in an underground parking garage in Surrey, BC or parked in front of a home in Burnaby, BC occupied by Mr. Beltran’s sister.”
- It was reported the female suspect called from the VANCOUVER area and the cell phone used in this crime traveled from the Vancouver area to the Island.
There was a rumour circulating around town in 2011 that a member of law enforcement once said: “People are going to be SHOCKED when they find out who was involved in Lindsay’s murder.” That statement was likely made because there has been a Zailo witch hunt going on for years. THE ONLY PEOPLE who will be SHOCKED will be the people taking part in the witch hunt when they find out it’s NOT THE ZAILO’S!!!!